Licensing will be closed on Thursday August 18th and Friday August 19th.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Business License Processing
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
OR BY APPOINTMENT
Kern County Sheriff's Office
1350 Norris Rd.
Bakersfield, CA. 93308
The Licensing Unit is responsible for regulating and issuing Concealed Weapons Permits, Business Licenses within Kern County, Explosive Use Permits, Parade, and Live Scan/Fingerprinting.
General Concealed Carry Weapons Permit Information:
Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the firearm is to be used.
In California, the Sheriff and his staff are required to follow strict state and local guidelines when performing the necessary background checks for issuing Concealed Carry Weapon Permits. Due to the detailed nature involved with conducting these background checks, appointment times and processing times can take multiple weeks.
On September 26, 2018, Governor Jerry Brown approved Assembly Bill No. 2103 that goes into effect on January 1, 2019. This bill requires CCW courses of training be at least eight hours but not be required to exceed 16 hours. Assembly bill 2103 also requires the CCW course of training to include instruction on firearm handling, shooting technique, and to include a demonstration, by the applicant, of shooting proficiency and safe handling of each firearm the applicant will be licensed to carry. The training will include live-fire exercises conducted on a firing range. A licensing authority shall establish, and make available to the public, the standards it uses when issuing licenses with regards to the required live-fire shooting exercises, including, but not limited to, a minimum number of rounds to be fired and minimum passing scores from specified firing distances.
The minimum qualification course for The Kern County Sheriff's Office will be 12 rounds: 4 rounds at 5 yards, 2 rounds gun hand only then 2 rounds support hand only from 5 yards, and 4 rounds at 7 yards. The passing score is 75% which equals missing 3 rounds outside the bottle outline on a standard FBI-Q target or its equivalent. Vendors course of fire might be different but will include the minimum standard requirements.
(Live Scan is only provided by the Sheriff’s Office Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Live Scan for CCW must be done at the Sheriff’s Office)
Starting January 01, 2019 all applications or changes will need to show proof of qualification before their permit can be approved.
Kern County Code of Ordinance governs the issuance of Business Licenses in the unincorporated areas of Kern County.
5.04.010, License, Required for designated businesses; states:
It is unlawful for any person to maintain, conduct, operate or carry on within the unincorporated area of the county any business or occupation for which a license is required by this title unless such person has a valid license for such business.
Licenses shall be required to operate or maintain the following businesses, or to pursue the following occupations:
- Loose vehicle parts dealer."Loose vehicle parts dealer," as used in this chapter, means any person who handles or deals in used loose vehicle parts and accessories as an incident to his regular business or whose principal business consists of buying and selling used loose vehicle parts and accessories;
- Fortuneteller,clairvoyant, palm reader, spiritualist, medium or other prognosticator for a fee, donation or other consideration;
- Itinerant peddler. "Itinerant peddler" means any person other than a secondhand oil well supply dealer, an automobile sales agency or a street vendor as defined in subsection (O) of this section, not having a fixed place of business in the county, who continuously goes about from house to house or place to place without establishing or setting up a stand or other apparatus which fixes a place from which the business is conducted for more than one (1) hour, and who gathers, receives, collects, buys, sells, disposes of, or otherwise deals in new or used articles, goods, wares or merchandise of any type or description;
- Weapons dealeras defined in and insofar as required by Penal Code Sections 26700 and 26705 as they now read or as they may be amended;
- Taxicab service;
- Shooting galleries, doll racks, or games of skill;
- Swap meets, as defined in Section 21661 of the Business and Professions Code (graffiti prevention regulation: Section 5.04.270);
- Taxicab driver;
- Commercial photographerswithout fixed place of business as defined in Section 5.24.010 of this code;
- Temporary business. A "temporary business" means a retail business operated primarily from a fixed place of business set up with the intent or plan not to conduct such business in the same general area of the county for more than ninety (90) days. A business is a prima facie temporary business if the business premises is a motel or hotel room;
- Street vendor."Street vendor" as used in this chapter, means any person other than a secondhand oil well supply dealer, an automobile sales agency or an itinerant peddler as defined in subsection (E) of this section, not having a fixed place of business in the county, who goes about from place to place establishing or setting up at each a stand or other apparatus which fixes a location from which the business is conducted for more than one (1) hour, and who gathers, receives, collects, buys, sells, disposes of, or otherwise deals in new or used articles, goods, wares or merchandise of any type or description.
- Massage establishment."Massage establishment" means a fixed place of business where any person engages in, conducts or carries on a business providing massage or related services. In order to obtain a business license, a massage establishment must have first obtained a "massage establishment permit" in accordance with Chapter 8.70 of this code.
For more information and fees associated with Business Licenses please visit the Kern County Code of Ordinance Tile 5 by clicking HERE.
The Licensing Unit can only accept Cash or Money Order for services rendered.
State Dealer/Pawnbroker Application
Business License Application
Business License Fees
Request for Live Scan
Other Authorized Live Scan Vendors
License or Permit Live Scan
Secondhand Dealer Laws 2018